Sunday, September 19, 2010

Song #8 "Behind Bars"


"Behind Bars" was Co-Written with my amazing and talented 15-year-old brother Alex Richards. He wrote the piano part, the melody for the verses and most of the lyrics. He played his piano and melody idea over the phone and while he worked on lyrics I worked on a Chorus. It was a different way to write for me. I am not very experienced in co-writing in the first place, but doing it over the phone was a new challenge. It was fun.

It was awesome writing this song with him because it is about our mother who is in prison for 3 years, and he is one of the very few people that I can completely relate with on the subject. It was a very therapeutic process. I tried to make the Chorus lyrics more general and metaphoracal as in your "mind is behind bars" to make it a bit more relatable.

I also went scissor happy as you will see. 2 pads of construction paper and a roll of tape and here's what you get ...

No comments:

Post a Comment